Friday, January 4, 2013

Words Without Friends . . . The words I won't use.


Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another.  ---Napoleon Hill 


Today's blog is about words. Since I am a writer, you may have guessed that I love words. I love how some words have double entendres, while others are very certain singular in their purpose. I also love the growth of vocabulary, how it changes and evolves, just as we do. This is the main reason I love watching television. I love studying what is said and how it is said and learning creative ways to say things that have been said thousands of times over. I study the works of Joss Whedon and Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy because in these works, I find the truths of life and of communication which is absolutely necessary in order to enjoy life. At least for me.
There are very few words that I absolutely hate. Words that if said in my presence will provoke what I believe to be a rational anger. I see these words as an almost immediate reflection of one's intelligence and civility. The words I am about to talk about are commonly used by some and I'm very careful to choose my battles with most people.
For instance, it's only if you're in my most select group of friends that you know never to use the words SHUT UP. These words for me automatically denote disrespect. When used, someone is trying to shut down someone else, whether it is emotionally, physically, and/or mentally. I have never had a positive reaction to these words and use them only in extreme situations where I have been pressed to the point that I generally am completely fried, and can't deal (not that that makes it okay). So, in other words, I ask that people not say these words. Hush, be quiet, even shushing me is fine but please…
Looking over the other words that have negative effect with me, I can find only a few other words that I absolutely abhor hearing. On that list are these words:

 1.) Idiot
 2.) Retard(ed)
 3.) Faggot
 4.) Nigger
 5.) Dumb
 6.)   Stupid

Now I realize that there other words that can be added to this list, but these are the five top triggers for me. I don't know if it's because they were used at a younger age negatively, but I can't think of any way that any of these words can be used to build someone up, only tear someone down.
I'm sure that some will argue that these words have their uses and that they're not as bad as I may view them but to me these words are more harmful than words like frakking, fricking, or even fucking. I would rather someone say hell or damn or even better, if you feel the need to insult someone research foreign languages. Merde means shit, but doesn't it sound prettier? And it makes you sound more intelligent.
I don't know that the world would be a prettier place or better place if we stopped using these words but I know for me that if you use these words you are showing that you have no consideration for my feelings or the energy that I fight very hard to project.
I am totally an advocate of the First Amendment, free speech all the way. But just because some things can be said doesn't mean they should be.

You can change your world by changing your words... Remember, death and life are in the power of the tongue.  --- Joel Osteen 

1 comment: